Introducing the NEUROLITH:
Transcranial Pulse Stimulation (TPS®) in Alzheimer’s Disease
Applied knowledge in neurology – The TPS® method of action
The key mechanism induced by TPS® is mechanotransduction. The stimulation of growth factors, primarily VEGF3,4, not only improves cerebral blood flow, but also promotes the formation of new blood vessels (angiogenesis) and nerve regeneration. An additional effect is the release of nitric oxide (NO)5, which leads to direct vasodilation and improved blood circulation.
TPS® enables targeted stimulation of cerebral regions.
Biological effects of TPS®
- Increase in cell permeability7
- Stimulation of mechanosensitive ion channels6
- Release of nitric oxide (NO)5, which leads to vasodilation, increased metabolic activity and angiogenesis and has an anti-inflammatory effect
- Stimulation of vascular growth factors (VEGF)3,4
- Stimulation of BDNF8
- Migration and differentiation of stem cells4,6
TPS® can stimulate deep cerebral regions, reaching as much as 8 cm into the brain. Owing to the short duration of the TPS® stimulation, tissue heating is avoided. The pulses applied to the treatment area thus develop their maximum clinical effectiveness. TPS® treatment is performed through the closed skull. The patient is not immobilized during the treatment and able to move freely. TPS® treatment has been shown to significantly improve CERAD test performance and to reduce Beck’s depression index in patients with mild to moderate dementia. Over 1500 treatments have already been performed using the NEUROLITH® system.
Advantages of TPS®
- 6 treatment sessions in 2 weeks
- Outpatient treatment (30 minutes/session)
- Painless and without side effects
- Personalized treatment based on MRI data
- Adjuvant cognitive training not required
- Shaving of the scalp not required
- No immobilization of the patient during treatment
BodyTrack® – Treatment documentation in real-time
Real-time tracking of the handpiece position enables automatic visualization of the treated regions. The use of personalized MRI data allows specific characteristics of the patient’s brain to be taken into account. Every time the handpiece position changes, the visualization of the target regions in the loaded MRI scans is automatically updated. The energy applied is highlighted in colour. The BodyTrack® software is a unique tool for the visualization and control of the TPS®pulses applied and of treatment progress.
Real-time visualization of TPS® treatment
Advantages of the BodyTrack® software
- Use of personalized MRI data
- Visualization of MRI data in 3 planes (axial, coronal, sagittal)
- Coloured visualization of the treatment region
- Real-time visualization of TPS® pulse distribution
- Continuous visualization and documentation of the energy applied and of treatment progress
NEUROLITH® – The perfect solution to facilitate Alzheimer’s treatment
NEUROLITH® – an innovative system with convincing design features! The special ergonomic shape of the TPS® handpiece minimizes hand fatigue to facilitate treatment working directly on the patient. The coupling surface adapts easily to any shape of head, making the treatment with focused pulses simple and efficient. The NEUROLITH® software includes patient management functionalities with retrievable data and recommended treatment parameters.
3D camera with patient and handpiece position detection / Calibration probe and tracking glasses with markers / TPS® handpiece with markers
Advantages of the NEUROLITH®
- Focused stimulation of deep cerebral regions
- Personalized 3D visualization of patient’s head
- 3D infrared camera system for precise cerebral tracking
- USB interface for MRI data import
- Patient database