Orfit Isoforce Outrigger
Isoforce is a unique outrigger system specifically designed to address stiff proximal interphalangeal (PIP) and interphalangeal (IP) joints. It can be used for the creation of dynamic and static progressive orthoses.
- Application to dorsal hand-based orthoses.
- Maintains constant force transmission and a constant force application angle throughout the complete PIP joint range of motion.
- Maintains a 90 degrees force application angle regardless of changes in joint position.
How it works and looks
- Available in a small, medium, and large size.
- Non-bulky outrigger system.
- Can be used with a dynamic or static progressive force load.
- Makes it easy to adjust the applied force.
- There is no need to adjust the angle of pull as gains are made in joint range of motion.
- Lack of full passive PIP joint extension
- PIP joint flexion contracture
Contraindications to the use of Isoforce, are patients who are still in the acute inflammatory stage after their injury, specific diagnoses that do not allow for tension to be placed on a stiff joint, joint instability, the presence of fibrotic tissue or infection, and unstable fractures.
Isoforce was developed in cooperation with Mrs. Jörn Good, Hand and Occupational Therapist at Schulthess Klinik in Switzerland and with ETH Zurich. Results of the biomechanical study have been published in the Journal of Hand Therapy.
Marrel M, Jörn Good U, Marks M, Herren DB, Goldhahn J. Isoforce: A new outrigger system for static progressive orthotic interventions of the proximal interphalangeal joint with constant force transmission-Results of a biomechanical study. J Hand Ther. 2016, 29: 451-8.